Sunday, October 23, 2011

Old McCaskill had a Farm








.....E I E I O


Today was such a fun day.  We all went to a farm.  I saw so many new things.  I think I stole the show.


Everyone commented on how well behaved I am.  I don't mean to brag, but I am perfect. :)  



I saw some honey bees.  Mommy let me try some honey and it was yummy.  Too sticky though, and I don't want to be the one who goes in the hive to get it.  Mommy had to be careful cuz she is allergic to bees.


There was a building right next to the beehive and it smelled funny.  I went inside and found this very quiet animal.  It's called a sheep.  It has a coat of wool that is made into all kinds of things...including the "rug" in my house.  Very interesting.  She was curious just like me and we said hello thru the fence.  I liked her a lot.  Mommy...Can we take her home?  NO, awwww shucks.  
This lady was taking the wool (that's what they call the sheep's coat)  and was spinning into yarn.  Then they color it and use it to knit or crochet blankets, scarves, mitten and other things to stay warm with.  I didn't like the wheel.  It was scary having something so close to my head moving that fast.  

And on this farm they had some PIGS....E I E I O.  I wonder how such a cute little thing can become this big smelly NOISY snorting beast.  Mommy said they were looking for truffles.  I don't know what a truffle is but it sounds gross, especially if it lives in mud.  Yuck.
This is how I like my pig...LOL.  This is how they cure the meat.  Dad said that means they smoke it.   It smelled real good and made me hungry.  There were all different kinds of things in there.  I didn't know what most of it was but there was a few pieces of what looked like fish.    That made me miss Finley (well his water, at least).

The pig wasn't the only baby on the farm.  There were chicks and cute little guineas.  I learned that they don't like to be alone and won't go far from the others.   It sure looks like they are cozy.
Homemade Ice Cream...YUM


 The way they take corn kernals off the cob looks like so much  fun.  These kids were so busy.  I heard them say that it was going to be used to feed the animals on the farm.  I am glad I don't live on the farm.  I don't think I'd like to eat dry corn.


This thing is called a grist mill.  It's used to grind down the corn that have been taken of  the cobs.  Like in the pictures above.  When it is ground just a little it's called grits...hey Mommy eats that.  When it's ground down very very fine, it's called corn meal...Mommy uses that when she makes fish.  YUM.  it wasn't working when we were they because the worker was gone.  Oh well, it would have been neat to see it in action.
Hmmmm....what's for dinner?

Redneck Wine glass

I did a little window shopping and saw some ladies making rugs and blankets and then rested in the little red barn.  After a short nap, I was ready to go exploring again. 


I got really excited when I saw the tractor!  I got to sit on one last year at the pumpkin patch and had a lot of fun pretending to drive it.  This year mommy had bought me a cowboy hat.  Now she REALLY thinks my tractor's sexy.  
Aren't we silly
I did a little taste testing too.  It tasted light dirt.



I had a fun day but I was glad to be heading back to the hotel so I could nap.  I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.